The Law on Traffic, Circulation of Motor Vehicles and Road Safety of the DGTwas modified last March with new sanctions that, in addition to a large fine (over 200 euros) also lead to loss of points. Infractions as common as not respecting the safety distance when overtaking cyclists or not using the belt correctly or other safety systems can make you lose, specifically, up to 6 points from your driving license.
But, What are these violations and how much do they carry? Specifically, 21 offenses can cause a loss of points, ranging from 3 to 6 card points.
The sanctions imposed by the DGT, in addition, reach 6,000 euros. This is, for example, the case of driving a vehicle that has radar inhibitors or kinemometers, or a similar system capable of avoiding or detecting traffic control systems, whose infraction is 6,000 euros and the 6 point loss. But there are others.
Fines from the DGT with a sanction of 1,000 euros and loss of 6 points
- Driving with an alcohol level higher than 0.50 mg/l in expired air.
- Driving after having used drugs and having them in the body.
- Refusal to take a breathalyzer test or a drug test.
500 euros and loss of 6 points
- Reckless driving, racing or other unauthorized competitions, or driving in the wrong direction.
- Exceeding more than 50% of the permitted driving time for professional drivers, or reducing by 50% the mandatory rest time for professional drivers.
- Intentionally altering the operation of the tachograph or speed limiter.
- Throw objects on the road or in its facilities that can cause fires, such as cigarette butts, or objects that can hinder traffic or cause a traffic accident.
Fines of 200 euros and loss of 6 points
- As described by the DGT; use mobile devices, such as a smartphone, by hand and while driving.
- Overtaking cyclists without leaving the mandatory 1.5 meter separation.
- Do not use or make improper use of seat belts, helmets, child protection systems or others.
200 euros and loss of 4 points
- Do not respect the stop sign, give way and skip traffic lights with red lights on.
- Carry out overtaking that could endanger or hinder the movement of vehicles in the opposite direction, or overtake in places with poor visibility.
- Failure to comply or not respect the signals and indications of the agents of the authority, or those of variable message.
- Not maintaining the safety distance between vehicles also entails an economic sanction and the loss of points, according to the new regulations of the DGT.
- Driving with the license suspended or prohibited from driving the vehicle being driven.
- Backing up on highways or expressways.
Fines of 200 euros and loss of 3 points
- Make a change of direction in a place not allowed.
- Driving using headphones connected to any multimedia device or using browsers that make it difficult to pay attention to driving.
- Driving vehicles that have radar detectors or cinemometers.
Other DGT fines that lead to loss of points
- Driving a vehicle that has radar or speedometer inhibitors, or a similar system capable of avoiding or detecting traffic control systems: 6,000 euros fine and loss of 6 points.
- Driving a vehicle without having a suitable driving license: 500 euros, 4 points.