Who has never dreamed of preparing lentils like their holy grandmother did? But what if it was simpler than it seems? Maybe you, too, could prepare meals for a regiment with skill, cunning, and culinary flair, only you don’t know it yet. You must believe in your potential since, flavors aside, what is not so complicated is preparing food in advance for the whole week. It is what is known as “batch cooking”and in recent years it has been a real revolution in social networks by allowing you to combine a healthy and traditional diet with the hectic pace of life prevailing in today’s society.
Cooking traditional stews to the touch of granny It is not a skill available to everyone, but it deserves years and years of practice. Yeah, let’s face it: getting your grandmother’s touch in the kitchen is a challenge equal to beating Elden Ring without dying a damn time. The right point of salt, spices and cooking times are kept secrets and passed down only to a select few from generation to generation. But come on, you can and more if it has a name in English to describe something that has existed for a lifetime. Cooking for a regiment and taking advantage of resources is not something new. It’s been doing for years. Sorry, the batch cooking It exists since there are grandmothers.
Effectively, if your grandmother read this she would laugh out loud: she has been doing batch cooking all his life. And you while wasting time on tik tok.
What the heck is batch cooking?
As previously explained, the term batch cooking It refers to a way of preparing food in one go. In fact, the word “batch” means in English “lot” or “lot”. Generally, one day of the week (which is usually Sunday) is used for cook in a few hours all foods and dishes of the week.
Blow of oven here, taper there…and voila! With minimal effort it is possible to achieve epic culinary combinations that will save you time the rest of the week. The protagonists of batch cooking They are usually vegetables and roasted vegetables. It is enough to prepare a good dose of baked aubergine, courgette or peppers to have excellent vegetable rations for the whole week. Other of the celebrities the batch cooking are legumes. Lentils, chickpeas and beans cannot be missing, whether they are prepared in the form of a traditional stew or as a cold salad.
We said that the batch cooking requires little effort. Well, the only effort is to dedicate a few hours of your day off to cooking, something that not all human beings are born to do. However, you do not need to be a champion of the kitchen to carry out a healthy diet. The imperative need to resort to great tricks on the ceramic hob to prepare a healthy dish is only in your imagination: simplicity lies in the magic of this popular way of cooking food at home.
In this way, healthy processed foods esiten: they are not a myth. Canned vegetables and fish, deep-frozen vegetables, vegetable paste, fourth range vegetables (microwaved), nuts, dried mushrooms, dairy products such as cheese and yogurt, cold soups such as salmorejo and gazpacho or creams such as hummus and guacamole. In full 2022, the range of options is too wide enough to ignore it, as opposed to the bleak picture we had in supermarkets no more than a decade ago where the food supply was much lower.
How long does food last in the fridge?
Batch cooking is very good, since it saves us time and money. because yes, too it saves us a few euros thanks to planning meals in advance. However, it is not advisable to get confused with those aspects related to hygiene and food conservation. It’s fine to plan and cook food ahead of time, but let’s not forget that its duration is finite.
Also, some foods such as rice and pasta should not be kept in the refrigerator for more than 24 hours. Surely this recommendation shocks you, but it is due to the possible presence of heat-resistant toxins in these cereal-based foods. What the heat does not load the toxins that can develop naturally in rice and pasta, it’s best not to overdo the shelf life just in case.
Rice and pasta are the two most delicate foods regarding conservation, so if you are going to use them in your batch cooking recipes, try not to rush the days with them too much. Remember: maximum 24 hours in cold. For the rest, the rest of the foods and preparations have different durations in the refrigerator. These times are generally shortened for more perishable foods such as meat and fish:
- Cooked pieces of meat (pork loin, entrecôte, chicken breast): 3-4 days.
- Stews with meat (lentils with chorizo, veal a la jardinera): 1-2 days.
- Cooked fish fillets (salmon, sea bass, tuna): 3-4 days.
- Preparations with raw egg (mayonnaise): immediate consumption.
- Cooked egg dishes (omelettes, crepes, deviled eggs): Three days.
- Stews without fish or meat (lentils, chickpeas or stewed beans): 3-4 days.
- Pasta and rice (macaroni with tomato, paella): 1 day.
By the way, you can also freeze Tupperware batch cooking, of course! But we will leave that for another day. Food freezing is a subject that deserves a separate mention, since it has more crumb than a village bread. Of course, let there be a clear premise: cold does not immortalize food. So yes, frozen food spoils too.
How to keep tupperware well
Cook in advance with our batch cooking In particular, it is of no use if we then take the container to the office in any way, committing authentic food nonsense. As we told you in this text a few days ago, the proper conservation of leftover food is crucial to avoid food poisoning. Otherwise, poses serious health risks. In this sense, it is convenient that we follow a series of basic precautions with our beloved Tupperware:
- Store in the fridge as soon as you arrive at work. Ideally, leftover food should not remain more than 2 hours at room temperature. No leaving the tupperware with macaroni all morning in a drawer.
- Check if your container is microwave safe or not. You will easily identify it by a symbol that usually appears on the back, representing a microwave. If it isn’t, don’t heat it. You will deteriorate the container and favor the transmission of potentially toxic compounds to the food.
- Wash your taper with care and care for your next batch cooking. Don’t let the crap take over your favorite container by leaving them overnight in the sink.
- By the way, also check using the appropriate symbol if your container is dishwasher safe. If it is not and you put it in, you will be favoring its deterioration.
- So much plastic like glass They are suitable materials to store your food. Of course, consider the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- The plastic containers are easily adaptable and they weigh little, but they can be damaged more easily. On the other hand, glass containers are very easy to clean, but they weigh more and run the risk of break due to carelessness.