Netflix has just announced Cabinet of Curiosities, the new eight-episode series that will arrive from the hand of Guillermo del Toro for this Halloween season. It is an anthology that, according to Del Toro’s words, he has always wanted to create, but letting the directors of each episode take center stage. The series will have eight episodes, of which the first two will debut on October 25 and the rest will premiere on October 28. Through this new project, Netflix wants to challenge the traditional concept of horror, ranging from the macabre to the magical, from the gothic to the grotesque and reaching the most traditional terror.
This is Cabinet of Curiosities, Guillermo del Toro’s new horror series for Netflix. All the details of its eight episodes:
1.- Dreams in The Witch House
Based on the short story written by HP Lovecraft, the plot revolves around Miskatonic student Walter Gilman, who rents a room in Arkham’s “Witch House.” He will soon find out why his previous tenants died prematurely:
- Directed by Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight)
- Written by Mika Watkins (Black Mirror)
- Starring Rupert Grint (Harry Potter), Ismael Cruz Cordova (Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power), DJ Qualls (Supernatural)
2.- Graveyard Rats
Based on the story of the same name (1936) by horror author Henry Kuttner, it tells the story of a Salem, Massachusetts cemetery caretaker who must deal with an infestation of abnormally large rats.
- Directed and written by Vincenzo Natali (Splice)
- Starring David Hewlett (SEE, The Shape of Water)
3.- Lot 36
- Directed by Guillermo Navarro (Narcos)
- Written by Regina Corrado (The Strain)
- Starring Tim Blake Nelson (Watchmen), Elpidia Carrillo (Predator), Demetrius Grosse (Lovecraft Country)
4.- Pickman’s Model
A short story written by HP Lovecraft in 1926, it tells the story of Boston artist Richard Upton Pickman, whose paintings recreate horrific yet brilliantly executed images. As we delve into the mind and home of Pickman, we will discover where such terrible inspiration comes from.
- Directed by Keith Thomas (The Vigil)
- Written by Lee Patterson (The Colony)
- Starring Ben Barnes (Shadow and Bones), Crispin Glover (American Gods), Oriana Leman (The Whale)
5.- The Autopsy
Probably inspired by the story The Autopsy and other stories (2008) by the author Michael Shea, it would tell the story of a coroner who suffers from cancer and who must perform the autopsy of ten miners who die when a mine collapses. However, little by little he will discover that the event was not an accident.
- Directed by David Prior (The Empty Man)
- Written by David S. Goyer (The Sandman)
- Starring F. Murray Abraham (Homeland), Glynn Turman (Fargo), Luke Roberts (Black Sails)
6.- The Murmuring
- Written and Directed by Jennifer Kent (The Babadook)
- Starring Essie Davis (The Babadook), Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead), Hannah Galway (Sex/Life)
7.- The Outside
Probably based on the short story The Outsider (The Stranger, 1921) by HP Lovecraft, The Outside recounts how a mysterious individual, who has lived alone in a castle for as long as he can remember, decides to go out in search of human contact.
- Directed by Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night)
- Written by Haley Z. Boston (Brand New Cherry Flavor)
- Starring Kate Micucci (The Little Hours), Martin Starr (Silicon Valley)
8.- The Viewing
- Directed by Panos Cosmatos (Mandy)
- Co-written by Cosmatos and Aaron Stewart-Ahn (Mandy)
- Starring Peter Weller (Robocop), Eric André (The Eric Andre Show), Sofia Boutella (Rebel Moon)