In recent weeks we have witnessed several cases and attacks on Mexican health personnel that unfortunately ended in death. However, of all the states, some stand out that have become extremely dangerous to the medical profession.
What are those states?
In this sense, the states with a red light are Zacatecas, Oaxaca, Cuernavaca and Chiapas.
The case of Zacatecas
A few days ago, the violence claimed the life of another doctor, María Esther, whose death was first reported to have been in a rollover, in Jerez. But later authorities confirmed that her body and the car in which she was traveling had gunshot wounds.
The professional would have been attacked with bullets after passing a checkpoint of a criminal group.
She was the third health worker fatality in less than ten days in Zacatecas. After the bodies of the intern Luis Fernando Montes de Oca were found in Valparaíso on June 30. And the manager of an ambulance, Octavio Chabelo, both health personnel from the state of Jalisco.
What other deaths have occurred in recent months?
According to information from the NTR portal throughout 2021, at least six murders of doctors have been confirmed in the country:
- On July 14, the doctor Hiram Fuentes, director of a health center in Tapachula, Chiapas, was shot by subjects on a motorcycle.
- On July 12, José Miguel Trejo Varela, nursing intern at the Autonomous University of Zacatecas (UAZ). Who was killed, along with two other people, in an attack on a barber shop in Colonia Mécanicos, in the state capital.
- On July 11, the Italian radiologist Michele Colosio, who was a volunteer. He was assassinated in San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, allegedly in an assault.
- On July 8, the radiologist Maria Esther Talamantes Bañuelos It was executed on the highway that connects Valparaíso and Jerez, Zacatecas. The above, because he refused to stop his vehicle at a checkpoint with armed men.
- On June 30, the medical intern Luis Fernando Montes de Oca Armas He was killed with a paramedic in Zacatecas when they were returning to Jalisco after having transferred a wounded man.
- On January 28, Mariana Sánchez, Medicine intern, was found dead in her room in Nueva Palestina, Chiapas. Since October 2020, she has reported that she was sexually harassed by her partner at the clinic, the doctor Fernando Cuauhtémoc «N».
Homicides in Mexico
According to National Institute of Statistics and Geography (Inegi), last year 36,579 intentional homicides were registered, only 82 homicides less than in 2019. When a total of 36,661 homicides were reported.
By sex, the highest number of murders corresponded to men with 32,147 homicides representing 88% of the total. While the homicides of women amounted to 3,952 deaths, according to preliminary figures for this crime released this Tuesday.
While the states with the highest number of homicides last year were:
Guanajuato with 3,974 murders
State of Mexico, with 3,237 cases
Baja California, 2,811
Michoacan, 2, 448
While the entities with the lowest homicide figures were Baja California Sur with 78 homicides, Campeche with 76 and Yucatán with 72.
Depression a new epidemic? FIFA creates campaign for mental health
Ways in which pornography affects physical and mental health
Mental health, one of the most worrying problems in Mexico