Qatar 2022 has surprised us not only in terms of football but also in other cultural aspects. One of these, architecture, especially if we talk about the famous 974 Stadium. Among other things, this sports building stands out for having been built from shipping containers and for being the first removable and reusable stadium in history.
The Stadium 974 It has a capacity of 44,089 people and was inaugurated a year before the Qatar 2022 World Cup, in November 2021. Its premiere took place on the opening day of the FIFA Arab Cup Qatar 2021, with the United Arab Emirates-Syria on November 30, 2021.
In addition to these qualities, the Stadium 974 it is the only one located on the waterfront, with spectacular views of the Doha skyline. Users of the stadium have been able to access using the city metro, through the gold line from the Ras Bu Abboud station, which is only 800 meters away.
This sports venue, whose architectural concept and design was carried out by the Spanish firm Fenwick Iribarren Architects, has more interesting features such as its removable seats and other modular building blocks, according to information from FIFA.
The shipping containers that were used in the construction of the Stadium 974 they are certified. The materials to build the stadium were chosen in homage to the nearby port and the industrial history of the site on which it is located.
Why Estadio 974 could go down in history?
The Stadium 974which began construction in 2017, obtained a 5-star rating from the Global Sustainability Assessment System (GSAS) for both its design and construction.
Some of the aspects that earned him this evaluation were:
- It is the first stadium that meets FIFA requirements and can be completely dismantled and used for other uses after the tournament.
- Its design is flexible, which means that it is possible to build it again with the same capacity in another place, or to choose to make several smaller fields using the same materials.
- Save energy by not using air conditioning, as its seating area was designed in such a way that it can be ventilated naturally.
- The stadium’s steel structure is recyclable and reusable depending on which legacy option is chosen.
- Compared to a conventional stadium, the Stadium 974 It presents 40% less water consumption, thanks to the efficient use of water resources.
- Its construction involved less cost thanks to its modular design, which required less normal construction materials than a normal stadium would take.
So far the Stadium 974 It has hosted 7 matches in the Qatar 2022 World Cup, 6 in the group stage and one in the round of 16.
Editorial Team The editorial team of EMPRENDEDOR.com, which for more than 27 years has worked to promote entrepreneurship.