Always observed by the Popocatépetl volcano, Atlixco, Magical Town located in Puebla, is known for its greenery, its climate superior to that of the rest of the country and for two years, for its Valle de Catrinas Festival.
What is the Valle de Catrinas Festival 2022 about?
This verbena, celebrated on the occasion of the Day of the Dead, includes artistic, cultural and gastronomic activities; such as plays, exhibitions, tours of the pantheon and snacks.
Although the most striking, without a doubt, are the ten catrinas and monumental characters located in different parts of the city, elaborated by Mexican artisans with the technique of traditional cartonería and each one with an approximate height of five meters.
when is this festival
The second edition of this event began on October 14 and ends on Sunday, November 6.
The tour, completely free, lasts approximately two hours and can be started on foot in the Zócalo. Below we present the route outlined by the City Council of Atlixco, organizer of the festival.
These are the monumental characters that you will find on the route:
- El Viajero, a catrín on Avenida Hidalgo.
- The Black Charro, located in the Municipal Pantheon.
- Tecuani, a nahual in the Parque de la Soledad.
- Devil of San Miguel, in the Plazuela Fray Toribio.
- My Dear Soul, a catrina in the Atlixcayotl Museum.
- China Atlixquense, in the Plaza de Armas.
- Charro de a Pie, also in the Plaza de Armas.
- Mythical Xoloitzcuintle, at the Convention Center.
- Elegance, on Boulevard Ferrocarriles.
- Frida Florista, placed in the cempasúchil field heading to the gastronomic corridor.
More activities at the Valle de Catrinas Festival 2022
Once in Atlixco, you can also take the opportunity to see the parade of catrinas, buy cempasúchil flowers for your offering and admire the splendid fields of this flower with figures alluding to the Day of the Dead. Of course, carefully so as not to damage the crop fields.
Did we convince you? Don’t miss this totally instagrammable festival, ideal for taking the best selfies of the season and doing local sightseeing.
What: Valley of Catrinas Festival 2022
When: Until November 6
Where: Atlixco, Puebla. About three hours away by car from CDMX.