The keys on the first row of our computer or laptop are known as shortcuts and are called function keys. This is why they all start with F and are followed by numbers ranging from 1 to 12. This causes discomfort among users so, in this article, learn how to disable the F1 help key.
These keys each have specific functions from F1 to F12. You may or may not know all its advantages, the truth is that there is a specific one that is usually activated alone or by mistake.
Although these keys work as shortcuts previously designated by the operating system that is installed, in this case Windows. Many of these have been obscured due to new interfaces. Despite this, it never hurts to know what each one means. Maybe at some point you need it.
Starting of course with the protagonist and the first in line, the F1 key is in charge of starting a help sale in the programs that are running at the moment. It’s called How to get help in Windows? And it directs you to the help and support center.
The Windows Getting Help window is like a Bing search that can even be started by itself or by accident by pressing the key. This is why many users want to disable the F1 help key. Since, once activated, it can cause delays while the page loads, only for it to close immediately, that is, something a bit annoying.
In addition to the function keys, the keyboard also has special keys that you can activate or deactivate.
The other function keys
It’s good to have a guide on hand that tells you what each key is for or what function it was created for. If one of them catches your attention, and in fact you do not have it activated, you can still do it. These are the tasks you can do with the other keys:
- With F2 you can change the name of a folder or document you choose, F3 is used wherever we are, open the search menu.
- F5 surely you know it and it is one to which we give the most utility, which is, to refresh the browser screen. F6 is used for when you are on the web because, by pressing it, you will end up in the URL of the main tab.
- If you are working on a document, F7 is quite useful, since it works as a dictionary, that is, it does a grammar check. While still in a Word document, with F8 you can select the text and, if you hold it down at the start of the system, it will start a safe mode.
- The F9 has many functions within the office suite, first if you are in Word you can update the document. And with Excel, you can recalculate a formula. Finally, you can start presentations in Coral Draw as if it were Power Point.
- F10 is a shortcut to the navigation bar. F11 works so that, being in the browser, you can return a tab to full screen, with F11 you can also restart your computer. And the latest F12 you can automatically save as Word or Excel documents. And also, view a file on the internet in its HTML code.
Ways to disable F1 help key in Windows 10
There are, in fact, several reasons why this function activates itself and several solutions to deactivate the F1 help key. Your system may have a wrong configuration or that the key is stuck. In this case, it is best to go to check your keyboard and rule out possibilities.
To deactivate the F1 key through the system or registry and make it so indefinitely, the steps are as follows:
- Click on “Start” on the desktop and click on “Run” and type “REGEDIT” for the registry editor to open.
- Open this code
In the window on the right, double click on “EnableActiveProbing” and a smaller window will open.
- Where it says “Value data” change the number to 0, press “Ok” and close the registration sale. Now, you just have to restart Windows and voila you will have managed to deactivate the F1 help key.
When using these keys it is important that you check which keyboard you are working with and what are the functions of each of these.