Since ancient times, both the lemon and its peel have been used both in gastronomy, as well as in health and beauty. This fruit is characterized by its high content of vitamin C, citric acid, calcium, magnesium, bioflavonoids, pectin and limonene, which strengthen the immune system, and works as a good anti-inflammatory, like most citrus.
Most of us use lemon very often, but we almost always remove 50% of it, that is, the peel. The investigations show that the lemon peel has minerals and fiber, as well as a powerful antioxidant capacity.
For a long time, it has been believed that it could have anti-cancer properties, however, the Spanish Association against Cancer has denied it.
How to use the lemon peel?
- There are different ways to take advantage of the lemon and enjoy its properties. One of the most common is using its zest, which can be added to various dishes and cocktails. To do this, you must freeze a whole lemon, and once it is well frozen, grate it well, obviously without peeling it.
- Another way to enjoy lemon is to make a liquefied lemonade instead of squeezing the lemons. To avoid that bitter touch that can be annoying, the ideal is to add sugar to the water before adding the lemons and then liquefy all the ingredients very well until you get the delicious and refreshing lemonade.
- Preparing cocktails with lemon peel can give them a very special touch and in the process, we take advantage of their benefits. For example, you can put a few drops of lemon in vodka tonic and then add the peels.
- It can also be made into tea and drunk every day.
What uses can we give to the lemon peel?
Here are some ideas for you to enjoy.
Flavoring and flavoring
After obtaining the lemon zest through the frozen lemon technique, we will have a very special flavoring and flavoring to use in the kitchen. It is almost always used in sweet dishes, such as sponge cake or lemon desserts. Just sprinkle a little lemon zest and enjoy.
This is a great idea to take advantage of lemon peels. In addition, the best thing is that they can be consumed alone or with different sweet recipes. Do you want to learn how to prepare them?
What should you do?
- Cut the peels of 10 lemons into strips and put them in a pot of boiling water for two minutes. It starts to cool, we strain the water and we do the same procedure twice more.
- Later in another pot, we prepare a syrup using 100 grams of sugar and a little water.
- Then add the lemon peels to the syrup and simmer until it dries. Finally, we remove them and let them dry on baking paper.
To have a special oil accompanied by the properties of the lemon peel, we very carefully cut the lemon peels and put them in a bottle with olive oil. So that the aroma and flavor are intense, it is left in the bottle for a month.
Homemade lemon flavoring
Lemon and its aroma can be the best ally to make an ideal homemade flavoring to set the home. Boil in 500 ml of water, 2 whole lemons or just the peel, 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary and a teaspoon of vanilla. Once it is boiling, remove it and let it rest to use it. To preserve it better, it can be stored in the refrigerator.
Citrus ice cubes
There are also options to enjoy the special touch of lemon peel in cocktails. It is about putting a little lemon zest in the cuvettes with water and thus obtaining some cubes with a different touch.
Keep brown sugar loose
Surely you have ever stored your brown sugar in a container and soon after you notice that some parts have become hard blocks. To prevent this from happening, just add a little lemon zest to it.
Lemon peel tea
As I have already mentioned, lemon peel tea is one of the best ways to enjoy all the properties of this ingredient. This infusion has great anti-inflammatory power.
How to prepare it?
- Place a liter of water in a pot and bring it to a boil.
- When it is boiling, add the peel of two lemons and simmer 15 minutes more.
- Before consuming it, add the juice of the two lemons and finally sweeten with a little stevia.