Child psychology is the basis for understanding children and adolescents and offering them the best conditions for their development. We show you why it can be useful to you and your children.
Fortunately, more and more adults are encouraged to start a therapy process when they need it. As a society, we are understanding the importance of taking care of mental health. Nevertheless, there is still some reluctance to seek professional help when it is the children who require it. That is why we want to talk to you about the importance of child psychology.
Many parents, despite being aware that their children have certain difficulties or deficiencies, refuse to go to a child psychologist. This may be due to ignorance of what these professionals can contribute, for fear of being marked as bad parents or to avoid social stigma.
Nevertheless, child psychology can help your children to be happier and more successful. If you want to know why you should give this wonderful science a try, read on.
What is child psychology?
Child psychology is the branch of psychology that studies the mental, emotional and behavioral processes of children and adolescents. Therefore, it is a science that helps us understand the development of minors.
The idea that people have about child psychology is sometimes very limited and negative. However, its uses and utilities are much broader than you might think at first.
Here are some of its main applications:
- Understand in depth the different evolutionary stages of the children and know what to expect in each of them.
- Identify problems in different areas (thoughts, emotions, behaviors, social relationships) and intervene to solve them.
- Promote the integral development of the child, helping you acquire basic personal tools. For example, social skills, emotional intelligence, or self-esteem.
- To offer parent orientation about how to tailor the parenting style and family environment to be beneficial.
- Attend to the educational needs of each child, generating school models increasingly adapted to children’s minds and offering individual resources to achieve good learning.
Why is it necessary to understand child psychology as parents?
Child psychology is not for the exclusive use of health or education professionals. On the contrary, some knowledgeable parents They are the basis for preventing problems and promoting optimal development on a mental and emotional level.
And it is that psychology not only focuses on treating disorders, but also in understanding how we people can be happy and functional in our day to day. In the case of children, this well-being is related to the actions of the parents.
Thus, parents who understand child psychology will have a great advantage in different aspects. Let’s see them below.
Parents may understand what some of your children’s behaviors and attitudes are responsible for. For example, they will know that tantrums are not a sign of rudeness or a child’s attempt to manipulate their parents, but a way of expressing their own individuality.
Parents will know how to choose an appropriate parenting style, based on love, respect and limits. Thus, they will not act automatically, but deliberately choose what kind of parents they want to be. If you don’t know about the different educational styles, you can’t choose.
Better family relationships
Parents will be better able to develop a good relationship with their children. They can also enjoy a harmonious and healthy environment at home.
Comprehensive development of the child
Parents will be more aware of the importance of enhance strengths of their children. A) Yes, spend time and energy building healthy self-esteem in children and to provide them with a powerful emotional and values education.
First of all, parents They will have an easier time to detect if their children have any difficulties that requires professional attention. Identifying a phobia, depression or eating disorder in children is difficult for many parents.
Some keys to applying child psychology in parenting
Applying child psychology in parenting not only prevents potential problems, but also provides children with a healthy and stimulating environment in which to grow. When child development is known and understood, that information permeates every step parents take.
Still, we show you some keys to put it into practice:
- Always keep in mind the evolutionary stage in which your child is. Find out about the most important changes, challenges and advances that will take place during those years. In this way, you will know what to expect and you will be able to understand and support them in their growth.
- Love, respect and limits. These are the keys that you should always keep in mind when educating. If you abide by these principles, you will avoid some harmful parenting styles (such as authoritarian or permissive).
- Teach your child useful tools on a daily basis. Assigning him chores around the house will make him responsible and autonomous. Teaching him relaxation techniques will help him calm down, and having frequent talks with him will help boost his emotional maturity. Daily activities are the best way to build a healthy personality.
- Stay alert for changes that may occur in your child. Acting at the first signs will prevent major disorders from developing.
When to seek professional help
Professionals in child psychology are at your disposal to guide you in the exercise of motherhood and to help your child solve any difficulties that arise. The main guideline for identifying when professional support is necessary is to look at two parameters:
- Does the situation or symptom cause significant suffering in your child or in those around him?
- Does this problem prevent you from functioning properly in your daily life and affect your performance in the school, family, social or other environment?
If the answer to the previous questions is yes, do not hesitate to consult a child psychologist. It does not matter if it is an emotional, behavioral or neurodevelopmental problem; Anything that interferes with your child’s happiness is important enough to be analyzed and addressed. Do not wait for the consequences to be greater.
In short, child psychology is an essential resource for all those who live with children and participate in their day-to-day life. As a father or mother, knowing how your child’s mind and emotions work will provide you with great security and will allow you to perform your role in an optimal way.
It might interest you …