Having a plan for our email accounts for when we are no longer in this world should be something to keep in mind, especially for those of us who are already at a certain age, since the moment we leave our loved ones will not know what to do with all this. So let’s see what we can do with our Gmail accounts.
It is true that all the information that we accumulate on the network, whether in our emails, in our social networks and even in our own browsing, is something that we do not worry too much about, but it can be a headache for our beings. dear ones once we have passed away.
Something that is also clear that one of the places where we have more information of all kinds is in the emails, not only because of what we receive, but because of all the ones we have sent, along with those that have remained in the memory of our server. .
That is why it is important to have everything concise and well structured before we go to another world. For that Gmail can not help, but we must know how to do it.
What happens to our Gmail when we die?
It is clear that Google cannot know if a person has died or not and the only thing on which it can base its actions is the fact how long a user has not connected.
Previously, Google automatically deleted an account when the user did not log in for 9 months, although in June 2021, changed its policies in this regard, modifying its way of acting.
Currently if a Gmail account has more than 24 months without login, the content of this is deleted, that is, all email files, images, contacts, etc.
With this action the account will be empty, but it will continue to be active, that is, it could be re-entered.
To make it easier for those who stay here to deal with information in Gmail accounts, we can manage content before and after we’re dead.
That is why we must follow a few steps and thus ensure that everything goes in the direction it should.
Although we already know that it is somewhat complicated, since over the years we have received countless emails, it is best that those that are important are separated, that is, those that have to do with communications from the administration, the bank, heritage or any other situation that is a priority, they should be protected.
The best create folders inside of Inbox for those emails and relevant documents, especially those that could be useful once we have passed away.
We could call them as relevant those that have to do with any sector of the Public administration, of bank accounts, debts, investments or any subject of this type.
Many of us have several email accounts that we dedicate to different tasks, which complicates the work of those who will have to solve this whole email issue once we are gone.
That is why it is quite convenient to leave some file that others know data such as the following:
- Information of Login of each email address (name and password)
- Information of two-step authentication if applicable.
- mark who we want you to have access to our emails.
- We can put in writing our opinion about what we want to happen with each of the accounts.
- In addition, we can also leave explained when exactly we would like to give access to our loved ones.
Thanks to all this information, it will be much easier to ensure that everything related to emails is not only done as we expect, but that no eventuality occurs regarding the start of the session or the treatment of emails.
This is how all the processes should be done as we stipulate.
Inactive account manager at Google
Once Google has made your account inactive, it will attempt to monitor you through all of your alternate contact information. We will be allowed to select up to 10 administrators with different combinations of account access for when the time comes for us to disappear.
To put the administrators of our inactive account we must do the following:
- We open the configuration of our Google account in myaccount.google.com
- Next, we click on Data and privacy and we scroll down until we reach More options.
- Then, we select Create a plan for your digital legacy.
- In the page Inactive account manager, we can customize what happens to the data when the account is not used again.
- After select an inactive account manager, you’ll need to add your email address, which doesn’t have to be a Gmail account.
- At that time we must select which part(s) of our Google account you can access, being able to even put an optional personal message to that person.
- We can also set up an auto reply message to tell people who try to email us that we will no longer reply to them.
In any case, we will also have the option of not leaving anyone in charge and that both the account and any service attached to it, such as YouTube, be deleted.
Within three to eighteen months after notifying your inactive account manager, Google will proceed to permanently delete the account.
What can others do?
If we die without leaving any type of instruction, the relatives or those who are our legal representatives have several options to manage with Google what our Gmail accounts are.
Sure, it’s best if we leave it prepared, but if not, there are several options for those left behind after we die.
close the account
If once we are gone, our relatives do not want to take charge of our Gmail accounts, they can always ask Google to close them.
For that they must fill This formulary, choosing in Google account within My request is about the following products (My request is about the following products). Next, we must complete this information:
- Full name of the deceased person.
- Gmail address of the person.
- Full name of the family member and/or legal representative.
- Email address of the family member and/or legal representative.
- Relationship of the applicant with the deceased (Immediate family, legal representative or executor).
- Country and postal code.
- Date of death of the deceased and death certificate.
- DNI or driver’s license of the applicant.
Something that we must take into account is that all the information must be given in English, since this service is only in that language.
To do this, if we can, it is best to use a certified translation.
Get account details
It can gain access to that account if we believe there is vital information in such email.
For this we must access this other form, which is completed in the same way and with the same data that we have seen in the previous case, except that a court order issued in the United States must also be obtained and it is convenient to include newspaper clippings, proof of your relationship or authorization in the request (something that cannot always be fulfilled, as is evident).
If necessary, Google will contact the applicant for more information.
This is all you can do to prepare everything related to Gmail for the day you are not there and what your family can do.
It is more than evident that the best thing is to leave it previously solved, so we take away a headache from our family and friends, who will already be having a bad time.