Volkswagen revives the iconic Type 2 kombi van

Volkswagen revives the iconic Type 2 kombi van

Volkswagen has finally revealed the final version of the ID.Buzzafter five years of giving clues and small samples of what an electric recreation of the iconic Type 2 Kombi would be like. Especially popular in the 1950s and 1960s and a true icon of the hippie movement.

Now in a 100% electric version, called ID.Buzzthe van will arrive in Europe in 2022, and in the United States in 2024. Volkswagen has not given prices at the moment, but it has given an important series of details about what the van will be like.

The ID.Buzz is an important part of the strategy to electrify the entire Volkswagen fleet that began with the ID.3continued with ID.4 and that he will continue with ID.5 and the electric Kombi during this 2022. All these vehicles work under the same modular MEB platform, which today we can definitely say has been a before and after for the company.

Battery, charging and power

The ID.Buzz that will be marketed in Europe will have a battery with a capacity of 81 kWh, of which 77 kWh will be usable. It will have a 204 hp (150 kW) engine. Volkswagen has not given official autonomies, but some 450-480 real kilometers are calculated in the combined cycle.

It will be capable of charging at a maximum power of 11 kW in alternating and 170 kW in continuous. They expect to go from 5% to 80% in about 30 minutes, especially useful for trips and long journeys.

The company is limiting the maximum speed of the ID.Buzz at 145 km/h, which is in fact a lot more than the Kombi of the 60s, which could rarely exceed 100 km/h, but usually less.

Finally, the van in its European version will have bidirectional charging, also known as V2L (Vehicle-to-Load) or V2G (Vehicle-to-Grid). That is, you can use the energy stored in the battery to connect and use appliances, electronic devices and even provide light to a house.

ID.Buzz: Compact and spacious at the same time

The van is relatively compact compared to its competition, but being an electric vehicle, many components disappear. In addition, the wheelbase of the vehicle is practically 3 meters, so both conditions make the van have more interior space.

In the front area of ​​the cabin the ID.Buzz is similar to ID.4, with a central 10-inch screen and the possibility of installing a 12-inch one. It maintains a minimal design, a second 5.2-inch screen in front of the steering wheel and with most of the digital controls.

Read:  Volkswagen "steals" its battery boss from Apple

The interior is modular, with the capacity to accommodate 5 seats and all are adjustable. The front ones can move up to 25 centimeters horizontally, and the back ones can be folded completely, separated or moved up to 15 centimeters.

Another six-seat version will come later with three rows of individual seats lined up in three rows of two. They will also offer a ID.Buzz with seven seats in 2-3-2 configuration.

The center console can also be removed from the front area of ​​the vehicle for cleaning purposes or simply to take advantage of even more space or place some other accessory in that area.

The steering wheel, upholstery and other interiors of the ID.Buzz are marked by sustainability. Fabrics of recycled origin are used, of which 10% come from plastic recovered from the ocean and the other 90% from PET bottles. According to Volkswagen, CO2 emissions of 32% are being avoided in this way compared to other materials.

Exterior reminiscent of the classic, but electrified

The exterior of the vehicle maintains some details of classic designs such as the vertical V-shaped hood. What we will stop seeing are the round headlights that have always identified the Kombi and we will move on to ones similar to the rest of the 100% electric line of the Kombi. brand.

The bodywork can be ordered in eleven different shades, including four two-tone versions that combine the white roof with yellow, blue, orange or green. You can choose wheels between 19 to 21 inches.

The ID.Buzz It will be capable of carrying up to 645 kg of weight with a useful space of 3.9 cubic meters. Two Euro pallets can be accommodated. The sliding door will be on the right side, but will be optional on the left side.

But it is important not to lose sight of Volkswagen is introducing a new type of vehicle to the electric ecosystem. We’ve been seeing SUV after SUV being introduced by just about every automaker in the world for two years now—it’s the fastest-growing segment, overall—so to see a new segment being electrified is, for lack of a better word, refreshing.

The reservations of the ID.Buzz, for the European market, start in May. The sale of the vehicle is planned for the fall. The electric Kombi will also have a cargo version called ID.Buzz Charge. At the moment the brand has not announced final prices.