We always talk about nutrients because ultimately it is the most important thing when choosing what to eat, and to demonstrate it, we show the top 13 high-calorie foods. You will be surprised with this list!
Foods with the highest calories
Naturally, not to mention more complex preparations that can include many ingredients, we find foods that are very high in calories but not for this reason of poor nutritional quality, as you will see below in the top 13 of foods rich in calories:
- Vegetable oils: all oils are made up of 99% fat, so they provide just over 890 Kcal per 100 grams. However, they are a source of unsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E for the body and we can include them in a variety of dishes as part of the dressing or, in breads, cookies, and other preparations.
- Butter: the classic butter derived from the cream of milk has a high percentage of fats, mostly saturated and provides 745 Kcal per 100 grams. In addition, it offers vitamins A and D to the body.
- Macadamia nuts: they are a dried fruit that are widely used in pastry products and provide 718 Kcal per 100 grams. Its energy value derives mainly from its high-fat content but they are also a source of fiber, potassium and vitamin E that make it a heart-healthy food with which we can create a vegan or vegan mayonnaise.
- Grated coconut: it is a product of the dehydration of the fruit so its calories and nutrients are concentrated. It offers 670 Kcal per 100 grams but it is an excellent source of potassium and fiber for the body, and although its fats are mainly saturated, they can offer benefits and have not been linked to increased cholesterol or cardiac risk. We can use it to decorate a variety of dishes or to make coconut milk, cookies or energy bars.
- Walnuts: they are excellent sources of plant-based protein, they provide unsaturated fats, vitamin E and various antioxidants, so despite their 640 Kcal per 100 grams, we can consume them as part of a balanced diet as part of a variety of preparations, for example, walnut cookies, pasta with nuts or paté vegetable-based this nut.
- Hazelnuts: they contain 620 Kcal per 100 grams and like walnuts, they are excellent sources of unsaturated fats, antioxidants, potassium, fiber and other nutrients that our body needs. With this ingredient, we can make a sauce, a different pesto, cookies and other pastry products.
- Pistachios: like other nuts, pistachios concentrate fats and therefore calories, specifically it provides 607 Kcal per 100 grams but it is an excellent source of quality nutrients such as unsaturated fats, vegetable proteins, fiber, potassium, calcium, magnesium and else. With pistachios, we can make everything from a simple salad to a pasta sauce and an original hummus.
- Peanut butter: it is an ingredient with noble properties and many benefits, although it concentrates 588 Kcal per 100 grams due to its high-fat content. We can spread a toast with peanut butter or make a variety of healthy preparations with it.
- Pumpkin seeds: Seeds are a group of very nutritious foods but very rich in calories because they concentrate fats inside. In this case, pumpkin seeds provide 585 Kcal per 100 grams and are a source of unsaturated fats, calcium, potassium and a variety of antioxidants, as well as fiber and vegetable proteins that we can take advantage of by adding these seeds to the bread, yogurt, a smoothie or Well, a summer salad.
- Cashews: also called cashews, this dried fruit concentrates 581 Kcal per 100 grams and is an excellent source of plant-based calcium and potassium. We can add it to a pastry preparation such as a sweet-tart, as well as a salty sauce. We can also make vegan butter using only anarchs as ingredients and add it to a variety of dishes.
- Almonds: they offer 578 Kcal per 100 grams but they are an excellent source of fiber, unsaturated fats, vegetable calcium, potassium and protein. They can be added to a variety of sweet or savory dishes, hot or cold, such as muffins, turkey tacos or a salad.
- Peanuts: they are an oily legume just like soy but in this case, they concentrate much more calories reaching 573 per 100 grams. In addition, they are rich in vegetable proteins and can be used in salads, sauces, stews, smoothies, stir-fries, as part of pilaf rice and a large number of other preparations.
- Hazelnut cream: by making it at home we can obtain a noble food full of good fats and antioxidants that provides for every 100 grams 570 Kcal. We can use this homemade “Nutella” a brownie, some cookies, or chocolates, desserts and other sweet but healthy dishes.
With this top 13 high-calorie foods, it is more than demonstrated that many calories is not synonymous with poor nutritional quality, but that many energy-concentrated foods are also concentrated in good nutrients for the body, as is the case with most of those present in this listing.
Thus, we must look beyond calories and keep in mind that fats are the most energetic nutrient, hence many foods rich in good fats are just the most caloric. And although we should not abuse these because they can unbalance our diet, it is essential to incorporate them into our regular table if we want to take advantage of their valuable nutrients.