Noma repeats as the best restaurant in the world, always under the criteria of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants. After almost two and a half years since the last edition, the list has returned in style at a face-to-face gala in Antwerp in which the luxury associated with this event and its sponsors was once again breathed, adapting, yes, to the situation pandemic that is still being experienced around the world.
Denmark seems to have won over the critics again, as its neighbor Geranium, also in the Danish capital, has risen to second place. Asador Etxebarri repeats in its third place with Enjoy climbing to fifth place, while Mugaritz, seventh in the previous edition, drops to position 14. It is also worth mentioning the great entry from DiverXO in position 20 of the main ranking, thus complying with what was planned. In general, few surprises, something also predictable.
The most surprising thing for many may have been precisely the celebration of this ceremony with a new list when the pandemic is still affecting seriously to countries around the world. The organization declared in a press conference prior to the event that it was decided to celebrate the list this year, after the forced stoppage by covid-19, to celebrate the reopening of the sector and also support the community with the 50 Best Recovery charity program, which has raised 1.29 million dollars to distribute among 200 stores in 23 different countries.
In addition to the winners on the list, which this year has released physical trophies, the organization has awarded the usual various specific prizes, each with its corresponding sponsor, already announced weeks before the gala. Thus, this year it has been crowned as the best pastry chef to Will Goldfarbby Room4Dessert in Ubud, Bali. The questionable title of Best female chef has been awarded to the Peruvian Pia León, who runs the Kjolle restaurant, in Lima, Peru.
The Spanish Victor Arguinzoniz from Asador Etxebarri has won the Chefs’ Choice award, a recognition voted by chefs around the world, and Dominique Crenn de Atelier, in San Francisco, has obtained the Icon award, which recognizes his figure as an inspiring icon in the gastronomic world.
An always controversial list, now with a pandemic
Beyond the questionable value that can be given to any ranking or award ceremony based on a particular voting system -which in the case of the 50 Best, in addition, is particularly hermetic-, the list has always been surrounded by controversy over how they set changing rules for that, in the end, things change little. The biggest novelties on the list also tend to include names that have already been sounding as a trend in other areas of the sector gastro, as has happened with Daviz Muñoz, who came to call it a “posture” years ago.
With the last major rule change in 2019, establishing that the winners of the first place could no longer be eligible for that first position, there is the paradox that Noma, former number one on several occasions, has once again been chosen as the best restaurant in the world. world. All due to the great renovation that led to the brand new site in February 2018, with the renamed Noma 2.0. The 50 Best organization would announce months later that it would make an exception for René Redzepi’s restaurant, and it has been.
In addition, the vote, issued by an anonymous expert jury distributed throughout the world, this year has been slightly different, since the votes from the 2020 list they had already been sent before being suspended the edition last year, after the global pandemic broke out.
Since many restaurants have had to close, temporarily or permanently, and there was the possibility that the jury wanted to change some of their votes, the organization has created a list based on “a combination of pre-pandemic experiences and recent local updates, which will cover the period between July 2019 and March 2021 ”.
Theoretically, travel limitations and various restrictions in each country have also been taken into account, but details of how they have adapted are unknown exactly the votes to this atypical situation.
The complete list of the 50 best restaurants
- Noma (Copenhagen, Denmark); best restaurant in Europe
- Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Etxebarri Grill (Atxondo, Spain)
- Central (Lima, Peru); best restaurant in South America
- Enjoy (Barcelona, Spain)
- Frantzén (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Maido (Lima, Peru)
- Odette (Singapore); best restaurant in asia
- Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico); best restaurant in North America
- The Chairman (Hong Kong, China); biggest climb in the ranking
- Den (Japan, Tokyo)
- Steirereck (Vienna, Austria); hospitality award
- Don Julio (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- Mugaritz (San Sebastián, Spain)
- Lido 84 (Gardone Riviera, Italy); best entry on the list
- ElKano (Getaria, Spain)
- A Casa do Porco (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
- Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
- DiverXO (Madrid, Spain)
- Hiša Franko (Kobarid, Slovenia)
- Cosme (New York, USA)
- Arpège (Paris, France)
- Septime (Paris, France)
- White Rabbit (Moscow, Russia)
- Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
- Quintonil (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Benu (San Francisco, USA)
- Reale (Castel di Sangro, Italy)
- Twins Garden (Moscow, Russia)
- Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin, Germany)
- The Clove Club (London, UK)
- Lyle’s (London, UK)
- Burnt Ends (Singapore)
- Ultraviolet (Shanghai, China)
- Hof Van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)
- SingleThread (United States)
- Boragó (Santiago de Chile, Chile); sustainable restaurant award
- Florilège (Toki, Japan)
- Sühring (Bangkok)
- Alléno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen (Paris, France)
- Belcanto (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Atomix (New York, United States)
- Le Bernardin (New York, United States)
- Nobelhart & Schmutzig (Berlin, Germany)
- Leo (Bogota, Colombia)
- Maaemo (Oslo, Norway)
- Atelier Crenn (San Francisco, USA)
- Azurmendi (Larrabetzu, Spain)
- Wolfgat (Paternoster, South Africa)
Directly to the Palate | What are the Best Chef Awards that have chosen Dabiz Muñoz as the best chef in the world
Directly to the Palate | Despite the pandemic, Michelin distributes in its 2021 guide the same first stars as last year (and there are three new two stars)