- As a result of the pandemic, more interest has been given to an area as important as health.
- During 2022 “My Vaccine” was placed as the most searched term in Google Mexico.
- Throughout this year there was everything from the development of innovative medicines to advances against deadly diseases such as cancer.
As one more year is about to end, it is time to analyze what has happened during the last 12 months. One of the most important issues is that the Covid-19 pandemic has reached its lowest levels since its inception. At the same time, there were other medical news that surprised the community because it could be the beginning of great advances, do you know which are the main ones?
In this vein, the relevance of health is now better understood. It is an area that has a direct impact on the lives of all people. For this reason, more and more Internet searches are carried out on this topic. The problem is that it has also generated adverse phenomena such as the so-called Dr. Google.
The most surprising medical news of 2022
With this in mind, below we share a list prepared by the video consultation application Sofia with the 10 most surprising medical news of this 2022. There was everything from the development of innovative drugs to advances against deadly diseases such as cancer.
- Yale scientists preserved the function of multiple pig organs even when the animals were no longer alive. Among those that were able to keep functioning were the brain, the kidneys and the heart up to an hour after the animals had died. This may be great news for the preservation of vital organs for human transplants.
- An investigation of Jama Network Open identified that smokers who quit before the age of 35 have a mortality risk similar to that of people who have never tried tobacco. This is great news, although obviously the best recommendation is not to fall into this dangerous addiction.
- China sent three astronauts to its new space station called Tiangong. The most surprising thing is that the reason was to complete a mission that includes experiments and tests to advance in the space medicine researchamong other sciences.
- The medicine lecanemab, developed in Japan, reduced 27% of cognitive decline in Alzheimer’s patients. Although it is not a solution, at least it does offer hope against one of the diseases for which there is still no cure.
- A study published in the neurology magazine pointed out that antioxidant flavonols (found in wine) might reduce memory loss. There is still a lot to investigate but it could be the beginning of new treatments.
- The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a medicine that could help delay the progression of type 1 diabetes in people under eight years of age. This is one of the most surprising medical news of the year because it would help improve the quality of life for millions of people.
- A team of Spanish scientists found that malignant cells migrate from one organ to another and spread cancer. From this detail, new hopes are obtained to better understand the metastasis of the disease in the human body.
- Similarly, another study published in the PNAS magazine revealed a new type of biomarkers that could help detect up to 14 types of cancer at an early stage. In this way, the chances of dying would be significantly reduced.
- Researchers from the Netherlands and the UK showed that 13 types of bacteria found in the gut are associated with depression. Therefore, a healthy diet and maintaining a stable intestinal flora could help combat sadness, among many other benefits.
- To conclude this list of the most surprising medical news of 2022, scientists from the University of Arizona developed a Neurosteroid-based treatment to help combat postpartum depression.
Chart of the Day: Inquiries to Dr. Google on the Rise Around the World
“My Vaccine”, the most searched term on Google during 2022
Google Trends could help predict the next pandemic