A new week has begun and that means The House of the Dragon It already has a new episode. And not just any one, but the one that has allowed us to exceed the first half of the season and has opened a multitude of new fronts in the HBO Max Game of Thrones spin-off series. Now we offer you our summary of The House of the Dragon 1×05 so you can review the key facts in case you missed any of them or so you can refresh them for next week’s episode. Anyway, here we go with him.
- The episode begins with Lady Rhea Royce, Daemon Targaryen’s wife, riding a horse. Rhea ends up meeting precisely with her husband. After a series of taunts, hints, and threats, Daemon knocks Rhea off her horse, leaving her paralyzed on the ground. Although not shown on camera, Daemon “finishes the job” and kills his wife, thereby freeing himself from her marital chain of a marriage that was never consummated.
- We then moved to another plot. Vyseris, with increasingly evident health problems, has traveled to the lands of Lord Corlys Velaryon and Rhaenys Targaryen to offer the marriage of Rhaenryra with Laenor, the firstborn of both. Corlys demands that the children of the marriage keep their surname and Vyseris agrees, but under the premise that when one of them sits on the Iron Throne he does so under the Targaryen name. They reach an angreement.
- Meanwhile, cousins Rhaenyra and Laenor walk on the beach. Rhaenyra tells her almost fiancé that their marriage will be a mere contract, that they will carry out their obligations, but that each can satisfy his needs as they please. Rhaenyra is aware that Laenor is homosexual and has a secret lover.
- On the ship back to King’s Landing, Criston Cole proposes to Rhaenyra that she abandon her duties as she has always wanted and go with him on adventures and marry in foreign lands. Rhaenyra tells him what he has agreed with Laenor, and Criston is outraged that he wants to reduce him to a companion.
- For her part, Alicent, after saying goodbye to her father, leaving Landing after ceasing to be the Hand of the King (and after warning her daughter that crowning Rhaenyra would be a mistake that would cause a war of succession), calls her Christon’s chambers, trusting that he reveals new information about what happened that night with Daemon. Criston confesses that he had sex with the heiress to the throne and that he will agree to be executed. Alicent thanks him for his frankness and lets him go.
- Rhaenyra and Laenor’s wedding festivities begin. They do so with Vyseris being interrupted by an Alicent who is intentionally late for the event. Rhaenyra and Laenor kick off the ball and others join in, including a Daemon wanting to get closer to his niece. Meanwhile, Laenor’s lover identifies Criston as Rhanyra’s “other” and tells her that they should both keep their secrets safe for their own good.
- As Daemon tells Rhaenyra that Laenor is not for her, that she will be bored and tries to seduce her, something interrupts them. Criston Cole is throwing punch after punch into the face of Laenor’s lover, who is lying on the ground. He ends up smashing his face and killing him to Laenor’s dismay.
- The episode ends with Rhaenyra and Laenor getting married for good in a ceremony accelerated by previous events. For her part, Criston is about to take his own life in the palace gardens, but Alicent stops him. With the marriage between Rhaenyra and Laenor already sealed, Vyseris collapses due to his health problems and we end the chapter without knowing what will become of him.
Do you want to know what your Targaryen name would be? HBO explains how to find out
Remember that the next episode of The House of the Dragon will be broadcast on HBO Max at dawn on September 25 to 26, 2022, specifically at 3:00 (Spanish peninsular time). It will be the episode with which we overcome the middle of the first season.