- Index hide1 In 2020, the global film industry had a box office gross of $12 billion. This data not only represented a decrease of more than 30 billion, compared to the previous year, but also meant the lowest figure of the period studied.2 This is an unsurprising situation considering the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the industry, with cinemas shutting down around the world for over a year.3 Now, and despite the fact that it is still far from the figure reached prior to the coronavirus crisis, 2021 seems to have marked the beginning of the recovery.
In 2020, the global film industry had a box office gross of $12 billion. This data not only represented a decrease of more than 30 billion, compared to the previous year, but also meant the lowest figure of the period studied.
This is an unsurprising situation considering the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the industry, with cinemas shutting down around the world for over a year.
Selena Gomez and Zoe Saldana will arrive in Mexico to begin filming “In search of Emilia Pérez”a musical about drug traffickers directed by the French Jacques Audiard.
With a comedic tone, it will narrate the story of a Mexican capo named John Delmonte, who, in order to disappear from the business and start a new life, will change his sex to a woman.
The main role will fall to the Spanish trans actress Karla Sofía Gascón, who appeared in the series Rebelde. It is unknown what the roles of both Gómez and Saldaña will be.
However, it is presumed that some of them will play Rita, a lawyer described by a source related to the production as the facilitator of the criminal’s transformation.
Selena Gomez, worthy representative of brands
The 25-year-old actress-turned-singer has 152 million followers on Instagram, earning her the crown of most followed person on the platform in 2018; she has since been surpassed by Cristiano Ronaldo and Ariana Grande. His super statusr influencer has taken her to Pantene, Louis Vuitton andmore recently, to Coach to spearhead global campaigns, acting as a conduit between them and younger consumers. He has also appeared on the covers of couture magazines, such as American fashion Y W Magazine.
In fact, over the years, Hollywood musicals have come to epitomize the very idea of light entertainment, and while movies like “Singin’ In The Rain”“The Sound Of Music” either “La La Land” they are without a doubt escapists, they have given cinema some of its most iconic moments.
Proof that small changes in taste is the fact that Lady Gaga starred the fourth remake of A Star Is Born. However, given the drought of the theater, this type of film is also a success in numbers.
The death of Broadway and the rebirth of cinema?
- In the last 30 years, 82 percent of new Broadway musicals were adaptations. Only 18 percent were totally original.
- The average circulation of an adaptation in the last 30 years is 644 performances.
- The average run of an original musical is just 331 performances, about half the adaptation average.
- Of the original musicals produced in the last 30 years, 30 percent were open for less than a month.
- 7 of those musicals closed in a week or less.
- 83 percent of all Tony Award winners for Best Musical in the last 30 years were adaptations.
So it’s no surprise that musical productions are more successful on the big screen than in big theaters.
Such is the example of La La Land that, with the 7 Golden Globes obtained, the musical directed by Damien Chazelle was the clear winner of the 74th edition of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association awards.
In this sense, the filming of “In search of Emilia Pérez”a musical about drug traffickers directed by the French Jacques Audiard. Dominican Zoe Saldaña will travel to Mexico to film a musical movie about drug traffickers with Selena Gómez, although their roles are not yet clear. Selena Gomez is currently succeeding, as an actress and producer, in the series “Only Murders in the Building“, nominated for an Emmy for Best Comedy. On the other hand, Zoe Saldana recently appeared in the time travel movie The Adam Project alongside Ryan Reynolds and is set to return to the world of Avatar in its upcoming sequels.
Jacques Audiard (Read My Lips, A Prophet), one of the most prestigious contemporary French filmmakers, won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival for the drama Dheepan.
For the music, the director has the French actress and singer Camille, who has written songs for films such as “The Little Prince” and “Ratatouille”.