One of the most interesting features of Windows 11 is its widgets. Since Microsoft confirmed the arrival of this function, it became one of the most promoted by the company. In fact, they will soon allow developers to create their own versions for third-party apps. However, the widgets were not liked by everyone, and many have wanted to disable them from the first time they saw them.
If this is your case, you’ll be happy to know that there is a way to disable widgets in Windows 11. In fact, there are two, one that will allow you to hide them from the taskbar, and another with which you can completely disable their services so that they no longer run in the background.
Both methods have different levels of difficulty. The first of them is the simplest, and any user can carry it out. The second, on the other hand, is not complicated. Of course, it will require entering sensitive areas of your Windows 11 computer. But don’t worry, If you follow the exact steps that we leave you here, you will be totally out of danger.
How to disable widgets in Windows 11
This is the easiest way of all. Nevertheless, services bound to widgets will remain in the background. Yes, even if the icons disappear from your view, this feature will still consume resources on your Windows 11 computer
Sure, it’s not a dramatic drain, but if you don’t have a very powerful PC, you might see a slight drop in performance. If this doesn’t keep you up at night and your computer runs fine even with the widgets on screen, then don’t worry and follow these steps.
- Move the mouse cursor to the taskbar of Windows 11.
- Right click on any empty space.
- In the context menu you will see the option Taskbar Settings. Tap on it.
- In section taskbar itemssearch widgets. When you find it, just tap the switch to turn them off.
It is done. Now widgets should not appear in your task bar.
On this occasion, you will have to enter the Windows 11 registry. Yes, it’s nothing deadly, but it’s a pretty tricky menu because of all the data it contains. However, if you follow the procedure as it is, you will be free from all danger.
Secondly, this procedure will disable Windows 11 widgets completely. That is, even your services will stop working. In this way, there will be nothing related running in the background and consuming precious resources of your computer.
- open the box Run of Windows 11. To do so, just press the keys Windows + R. You will see a window open.
- In the search box, type the following (without quotes): “regedit“. Press Shift + Enterthis will open the registry with administrator permissions.
- Using the left sidebar, navigate to this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoft
- Right click on the folder microsoft. In the context menu, go to New and later to Key code.
- A folder will be created. Rename it”Dsh“, without quotation marks.
- Tap on this new folder. Now, right click on the right part of the window.
- go to Newand tap on DWORD value (32). Name it as “AllowNewsAndInterests“, without quotation marks.
- When the new value is generated, double click on it. A window will open. Assign him hexadecimaland in the field of Value information write 0.
- Press To accept to save the changes. Then close the window registry editor.
Now, widgets should not be a problem for you anymore in Windows 11. If you still see them, just restart your computer and they should be gone forever… Or until you delete the folder and value you just created.