Drinks with which you should NOT combine paracetamol

Drinks with which you should NOT combine paracetamol

Paracetamol and drinks: Paracetamol is an over-the-counter drug (OTC) widely used to treat pain and reduce high temperature. Headaches, toothaches, sprains or colds and flu, this medicine can provide instant relief from all these health problems. The use of paracetamol has even increased during the pandemic to lower fever.

This drug is inferior to ibuprofen and may only work to treat mild fever and moderate pain. However, overdosing or mixing the medicine with the wrong drink can cause effects.

Paracetamol and drinks: Drink to avoid

Each medication works differently and has a different impact on your health. That’s why always ask your doctor how to have them when you get the prescription. Some medications need to be taken on an empty stomach, while others with milk can irritate the stomach lining. As for paracetamol, there is only one drink that should be avoided: ALCOHOL

Why should alcohol be avoided?

Alcohol contains ethanol. Mixing acetaminophen with ethanol can cause nausea, vomiting, headaches, fainting, or loss of coordination. Taking acetaminophen after a night of heavy drinking to get rid of a hangover can put you in serious danger. The combination of the two can increase the risk of liver toxicity, which can be fatal. In addition, alcohol is also known to reduce the effectiveness of the medication.

Read:  If you want to gain muscle mass and strength, move in these percentages of the RM
Not just paracetamol, combining alcohol with any other drug is not a great idea. Whenever you take medicine from a pharmacy, ask what you should avoid.

the safe limit

Although paracetamol is a mild drug, you should consume it as a limitation. For adults, 1 gram of acetaminophen per dose and 4 grams (4,000 mg) per day is safe for consumption. Going beyond this limit can lead to liver toxicity. If you drink 3 drinks of alcohol every day, do not take more than 2 grams of paracetamol after consulting your doctor. For children older than 2 years, use a pediatric form of acetaminophen after consulting a doctor.

If you are taking liquid paracetamol, measure the amount. Liquid medicine overdose is one of the common mistakes people make. The chewable tablet must be chewed properly before swallowing. Even if you’re taking acetaminophen in limited amounts, don’t take it regularly for any condition.

Overuse side effects

Many people are allergic to paracetamol, so before taking the medicine make sure that this is not the case for you. If you have a history of alcoholism or liver problems, check with your doctor before taking this over-the-counter medication.

After taking the medicine, if you develop signs of allergic reactions such as hives; labored breathing; swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat, seek emergency medical help.

Related Notes:

Omicron could come from a mouse by “reverse zoonotic transfer”
Burnout is officially an occupational disease recognized by the WHO
Tips for getting your medical brand up and running on TikTok