After the approval of the dignified vacation reform in Mexico, it is established that employees will be entitled to 12 days of vacation after completing the first year of work, from then on they will increase two days for each year until reaching 20 days. This provision was published in the Official Gazette of the Federation (DOF) in December 2022.
How many vacation days will I have in Mexico in 2023?
The Secretary of Labor and Social Welfare, Luisa María Alcalde, gave some examples in case the information had not been made clear to workers in Mexico. Therefore, they explain it here:
- If a person started working in February 2021. Under the previous law, they were entitled to six days of vacation after completing their first year of work in February 2022. In 2023, having completed two years of work and after the entry into force of the new law on January 1, the person would be entitled to 14 days off, as can be seen in the table.
But what if the person has been working for more than 10 years, how would the new law apply? Mayor explains it as follows:
- A person started working on August 24, 2010. Under the old law, he was entitled to 16 days of vacation after completing 12 years of work in 2022. But with the application of the reform, he will be able to have 24 days of vacation in August 2023 .
How is the vacation scheme in Mexico?
- Year 1: 12 days of vacation.
- Year 2: 14 days of vacation.
- Year 3: 16 days of vacation.
- Year 4: 18 days of vacation.
- Year 5: 20 days of vacation
- Year 6-10: 22 days of vacation.
- Year 11-15: 24 days of vacation.
- Year 16-20: 26 days of vacation.
- Year 21-25: 28 days of vacation.
- Year 26-30: 30 days of vacation.
- Year 31-35: 32 days of vacation.
How is the final law of dignified vacations in Mexico?
The Labor and Social Welfare commissions of the Mexican Senate and Chamber of Deputies announced, a few days ago, an agreement to vote on the “decent vacation” reform with 12 continuous days for workersas originally proposed by the senators.
Can they be enjoyed every consecutive day?
With this new reform, those days can be enjoyed consecutively, as commented by Ignacio Mier Velazco, coordinator of Deputies of Morena. In addition, he explained that the employee can always choose to decide how to use their vacation period.
“The worker will enjoy 12 days of continuous vacation, at least; Said period, under the authority of the worker, may be distributed in the manner and time required,” reads the wording of a minute endorsed by the Senate.