One of the days that generated the greatest expectation among the fans of DC Comics who lived under the uncertainty of what would happen to their Cinematic Extended Universeknown as DCEU.
As we all know, the architect of this compendium of films was neither more nor less than zack snyder in partial collaboration with Christopher Nolan (at least initially).
But then after the financial disaster that turned out to be Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice and some controversial casting decisions, like Ezra Miler, it all ended up slowly collapsing.
The movie industry was shaken up when James Gunn took over as the new mastermind behind these movie and TV franchises.
Since his first move as the leader of the future of DC was to liquidate almost everything that was known about the DCEU, ending the era of Henry Cavill, Ben Aflleck and Dwayne Johnson as Superman, Batman and Black Adam respectively.
This move raised the ire of many fans and Gunn asked for trust and patience in revealing the rest of his cards. Today that day has arrived and we must confess that we have recovered our faith a little.
Superman, Batman and a return to basics with the help of HBO: this is James Gunn’s bet
James Gunn just present its lineup of productions to relaunch the DC cinematographic universe, which in this case will be made up of films that will adapt cult comics and some series produced with the backing of HBO.
The selection of productions, to be honest, was unexpected and a real surprise among DC fans, as it shows that Gunn knows exactly what he’s doing. Here is the complete list of projects:
- Creature Commandos | A seven-episode animated series written by James Gunn himself.
- Waller | A spin-off of the HBO Max series Peacemaker with Viola Davis as Waller again.
- Superman: Legacy | Written by James Gunn and reportedly will adapt part of the arc of the cult All-Star Superman comic by artist Frank Quitely and writer Grant Morrison. It won’t be an origin story and will have a new actor as Superman.
- Lanterns | Series with HBO Max with Hal Jordan and John Stewart as protagonists. It will supposedly have a similar tone to True Detective.
- The Authority | A movie about this extreme superhero that reminds us of The Punisher mixed to some degree with Deadpool. He promises the approach.
- Paradise Lost | A series set on Wonder Woman’s island Themyscira, in collaboration with HBO and that will have a tone similar to Game of Thrones.
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold | A film that will present the new Batman of the now called DCU. For the arc that they will adapt, the presence of the most controversial Robin will count: Damian Wayne, the almost psychopathic son of Bruce himself. The film tape is inspired by Grant Morrison’s comics.
- Booster Gold | A series about a loser from the future who uses technology from the future to return to the present and win the love of the people by becoming a superhero.
- Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow| A film based on the 2022 comic book series by writer Tom King. Here we will see its origin story with a very current context on gender imbalances.
- Swamp Thing | A terror movie.
In the end, the selection of James Gunn shows that he and his team know the DC universe in depth and have chosen a wide variety of stories to adapt. Each one with its own identity and a lot to contribute to the industry outside of what Marvel is doing.