With a dream creative team, MAP Y Crunchyroll are ready to bring to our screens one of the most anticipated adaptations of recent times: chainsaw man. A production that promises to give a lot to talk about among anime fans during the final stretch of this 2022.
This is all you need to know about chainsaw man:
The Next Japanese Animation Phenomenon
Created by the acclaimed mangaka Tatsuki Fujimoto —author of Fire Punch, LookBack Y Goodbye, Eri—, chainsaw man began its serialization in December 2018 in the magazine Weekly Shonen Jump. Manabu Otsuka, CEO of MAPPA, recognized the work’s potential as soon as it was released, and quickly approached publisher Shueisha with the proposal to turn it into an anime.
Contrary to the norm in the industry, the animation house decided to develop this project without the financial backing of a production committee. MAPPA is 100% behind a series that aspires to become a contemporary phenomenon like Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, jujutsu kaisen either SPY x FAMILY.
“MAPPA has been around for eleven years. We have worked on many, many titles over the years. But I really think chainsaw man it will open a new chapter for MAPPA,” says Otsuka. “I want the team to do everything they can to make this something that starts a new chapter for the studio.”
The manga concluded its “Part 1” with a total of 11 volumes in December 2020, whose sales already exceed 13 million copies in circulation. Likewise, the printed matter has been awarded as Best sheitherbaby at the 66th Shogakukan Manga Awards and for Best Manga at the 2021 Harvey Awards.
The “Part 2” of the manga chainsaw man began last July 13 in the online magazine Shonen Jump+ in Japan, as well as on its sister app Manga Plus internationally.
You may also like: The most anticipated anime series of 2022.
What is it about chainsaw man?
Combining an irreverent tone, horror, action and raw violence, our story takes place in an alternate Japan in 1997. In this universe, demons manifest from the collective fears of humans, so there is an organization of hunters supervised by the government that is in charge of neutralizing them when they represent a threat to the world.
Crunchyroll provides the following synopsis of chainsaw man:
“Denji is a teenager who lives with a chainsaw demon named Pochita. Due to the debt that his father left him when he died, he has always lived in misery trying to pay off the debt by hunting demons with Pochita.
One day, Denji suffers a betrayal and dies. As his consciousness begins to fade, he makes a pact with Pochita and is revived as the ‘Chainsaw Man’, a man with the heart of a devil”.
You might also be interested: Demon Slayer: Season 3 – Official Trailer.
chainsaw man is produced by the same studio behind titles like Attack on Titan: The Final Season, jujutsu kaisen either Dorohedoro. MAPPA’s creative team has promised an adaptation free of censorship, neither violence nor other intense moments of the original work.
The mangaka Tatsuki Fujimoto is also closely involved in the anime, approving the casting in Japanese, the scripts, and the music.
The staff luxury gear chainsaw man it’s made of:
- Address: Ryū Nakayama (director of the 19th episode of jujutsu kaisen).
- Script: Hiroshi Seko (Attack on Titan; jujutsu kaisen; Mob Psycho 100).
- Character design: Kazutaka Sugiyama (Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation).
- Art direction: Yusuke Takeda (Vinland Saga; jujutsu kaisen; Vivy -Fluorite Eye’s Song-).
- Direction of photography: Teppei Ito (jujutsu kaisen; Dorohedoro; Dance Dance Dancer).
- color design: Naomi Nakano (Sword Art Online: Alicization).
- Direction of action: Tatsuya Yoshihara (director of black clover).
- Demon Design: Kiyotaka Oshiyama (director of Flip Flappers).
- Screen design: Yohei Miyahara (Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans).
- Music: Kensuke Ushiō (devilman crybaby; Boogiepop and Others; a silent voice).
- Production: Keisuke Seshimo (jujutsu kaisen).
Meanwhile, the Japanese voice cast will be headed by:
- Kikunosuke Toya as Denji
- Tomori Kusunoki (Setsuna Yuki in Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club) as Makima.
- shōgo sakata (Karin Sasaki in fire force) as Aki Hayakawa.
- Fairouz Ai (Jolyne Kujo in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean) as Power.
- Shiori Izawa (Nanachi in Made in Abyss) as Pochita.
- Mariya Ise (killua in Hunter x Hunter) as Himeno.
- Karin Takahashi (Suika in DR STONE) as Kobeni Higashiyama.
- Taku Yashirou (VulcanJoseph in fire force) as Hirokazu Arai.
- Kenjirou Tsuda (Kento Nanami in jujutsu kaisen) What Kishibe.
The opening “KICK BACK” is performed by Kenshi Yonezu. The series will feature a opening different per episode with artists like ano, Eve, Aimer, Kanaria, syudou, QUEEN BEE, ZUTOMAYO, TK from Ling tosite sigure, TOOBOE, Vaundy, PEOPLE 1 and MAXIMUM THE HORMONE.
You might also be interested: SPY x FAMILY: Part 2 – Premiere, trailer and everything you need to know.
When and what time does it premiere chainsaw man?
Crunchyroll will issue chainsaw man exclusively in simulcast in more than 200 countries and territories around the world, including Latin America.
The first season will premiere on October 11, 2022 and will consist of a total of 12 episodes. A new chapter will be released every Tuesday on the dot of the 09:00 a.m. PT (11:00 am, Central Mexico time). Later, the anime will also receive a Latin Spanish dub.
“With dark humor, dynamic characters and a witty story, chainsaw man is one of the most anticipated new series this year, and we’re extremely excited to bring it to fans via Crunchyroll. Anime fans won’t be able to sleep all night thinking about the spectacular visuals and high-octane action.”
Asa Suehira, Chief Content Officer at Crunchyroll.
You may also like: Attack on Titan: The final season will have a third part in 2023.
trailer of chainsaw man (August 5, 2022)
Trailer #2 (September 19, 2022)
You might also be interested: Crunchyroll – Price and catalog – Summer 2022.
We remind you that Panini Manga publishes the original work in Mexico.