Pay a lot of attention! Every year, people in Colombia are kept informed about the holidays to plan your vacation. In general, they take advantage of these days to go out with the family or take a short trip within the country. In this article, we will provide detailed information about the non-working days of the month and the rest of 2023. You will find the informational paragraphs below.
Most months have two public holidays, which provides an excellent opportunity to enjoy a well-deserved break from work or studies. Throughout 2023, some of these days will be celebrated on their original date, while others will be moved to Monday to comply with the corresponding regulations.
According to the official Colombian calendar, a total of 13 holidays are foreseen that will coincide with Mondays. It is important to note that the months of February and September will not have official holidays, being the only ones in the year without them. However, the greatest concentration of holidays will take place in April, during the celebration of Holy Week.
How many holidays will 2023 have?
Only February and September do not have official holidays. Most of the holidays are grouped in April, during Holy Week, which makes this month one of the most outstanding periods of 2023. However, April will not be the only month with holidays, since in July there will also be days off for many citizens.
Calendar 2023 in Colombia: know the holidays and holidays
- Sunday January 1: New Year
- Monday January 9: Three Kings Day
- Monday March 20: St. Joseph’s Day
- Sunday April 2: Palm Sunday
- Thursday April 6: Holy Thursday
- Friday April 7: Holy Friday
- Sunday April 9: Easter Sunday
- Monday May 1: Workday
- Monday May 22: ascension day
- Monday June 12: Corpus Christi
- Monday June 19: Sacred heart
- Monday July 3: Saint Peter and Saint Paul
- Thursday July 20: Independence Day
- Monday August 7: Boyaca’s battle
- Monday August 21: the assumption of the virgin
- Monday October 16: Day of race
- Monday, November 6: All Saints
- Monday November 13: Independence of Cartagena
- Friday December 8: Immaculate Conception’s Day
- Monday December 25: Christmas day
Recommendations for holidays
If you have plans to travel, it is crucial that you plan ahead for the places you want to visit and look for accommodation options. Keep in mind that during the holidays, many people tend to travel, so it is important to be patient. Also, if you are considering international destinations, you can also enjoy the magic and charm of the picturesque towns of Colombia.
What happens if you work on holidays?
Law 51 of 1983 establishes that both public and private sector workers have the right to “paid rest” during official holidays. In accordance with article 179 of the Substantive Labor Code, employees are responsible for receiving an additional payment of 75% for the holidays and Sundays on which they work.