Daily job responsibilities can cause employees to feel overburdened, causing some a lot of stress and in more extreme situations cause burnout or Burnout syndrome.
And that is how it is called job burnout that many workers suffer due to the great tensions they have. Knowing about the subject is important, since a person who goes through this situation usually presents a weak immune system.
What is burnout?
According to the EU-OSHA (European Union information agency responsible for safety and health at work), the burnout was only related to workers who worked in areas related to treatment of the public and clients.
Currently, it is known that this syndrome can be presented by any worker regardless of their profession. The cause is mainly a bad work environment because this situation causes discomfort in the person.
What types of burnout are there?
According to specialists, burnout syndrome or job exhaustion can be divided into two types:
- active burnout: This happens when the worker has no problem expressing what he thinks and feels about his responsibilities in the company.
- passive burnout: It refers to people who feel overwhelmed by the situation and because of this they have a pessimistic attitude.
What are the signs of burnout?
The World Health Organization (WHO) indicates that burnout syndrome presents three signs. Next, we tell you so that you can recognize them.
- Feeling tired and having little energy to get out of bed. The person may also suffer muscle pain and gastrointestinal problems.
- The worker does not feel committed to his responsibilities in the workplace. Likewise, he usually presents an irritable attitude with his co-workers, family, friends and social environment in general.
- The person does not feel motivated to carry out their responsibilities in their workplace. In other words, his labor productivity is not the same because he cannot concentrate and always forgets something.
What are the causes of burnout?
According to various specialists, job burnout occurs due to a combination of different causes. Next, we tell you more about it.
- Having a lot of work prevents you from managing your life properly, since it will be difficult to balance everything.
- Not being clear about the position you have in your workplace, due to the activities you carry out will cause you to feel uncomfortable in the place.
- If you have people in your charge, feel that they do not respect you and do not fulfill the tasks that you indicate.
- When your boss intervenes in the decisions you make within the framework of your functions and they are usually irrelevant opinions.
- You feel that your work has become boring. In these cases, you will need a lot of energy to cope with the situation and that will make you tired.
What to do to combat burnout?
Fernanda Giralt Font, specialist in stress and burnout from INECO Organizations, in an interview with Infobae, shared some recommendations to deal with the situation.
- Pay attention to your body so you can detect if you’re feeling stressed. And it is that work exhaustion can cause irritability and attention problems.
- If you work at home, avoid doing it from your bed. Ideally, create a routine that helps you be proactive.
- Do activities that help you clear your mind. For example, listening to relaxing music, going out to eat with friends, or organizing a moment with you.
- So that you do not overload yourself with work, the ideal thing is that you organize your earrings by priorities.
- Practice relaxation and meditation techniques so that you can better control stress. Remember that feeling tension is normal, the ideal is to recognize the limit for your body.
Who to go to if you think you have burnout?
Burnout has several stages, but from the beginning it presents some signs such as tiredness, headaches and other symptoms. In this context, the ideal is to see a family doctor or in more extreme cases with a psychiatrist, since they usually have more knowledge on the subject.