The article has been checked for accuracy (content includes links to reputable media sites, academic research institutions, and occasionally medical studies). All content on our website has been reviewed, however, if you believe our content is inaccurate, out of date or otherwise questionable, you may contact us to make the necessary corrections.
We are going to show you the steps you have to follow to prepare an exquisite upside-down apple cake at home that can be used as a dessert.
Apple upside down cake is an easy dessert to prepare It has fantastic organoleptic characteristics. With few ingredients you can achieve a fabulous result. For this reason, we are going to teach you the steps you have to follow to make it at home.
Before you start, remember that the best options for dessert are fruit and fermented dairy products. However, it is okay to include a sweet from time to time, even at breakfast. Also, if you exercise regularly, this excess sugar will be used for energy production; thus, its impact on the body will be reduced.
Ingredients for apple upside down cake
To prepare an exquisite inverted apple cake, the following ingredients will be necessary:
- 4 apples.
- 1 lemon.
- 100 grams of sugar for the caramel.
- 300 grams of self-rising flour.
- 100 grams of butter.
- 4 eggs.
- 200 grams of sugar.
- 1 dessert spoon of vanilla essence.
The sugar in the dough could be replaced by artificial sweetener. In this case, stevia should be prioritized, since it is the one that has the least impact on the body. It is important to always keep in mind that this type of additives have shown ferment inside the digestive tract, thus causing changes in the configuration of the intestinal microbiota profile.
Step by Step
- First, make the caramel for the cake. To do this, put the sugar in a pot with a few drops of lemon juice and water. Place the result on the fire and wait until a viscous brown liquid forms. But be careful, it is important to avoid burning. This caramel will be used to cover the base and walls of the cake mold.
- Once this step is ready, proceed to peel the apples, cut them in the middle and remove the core.
- Let the fruit soak for a few minutes in water with lemon.
- Coat the mold with caramel.
- Then, slice the apples and cover the base of the mold with them above the caramel.
- Reserve until the dough is ready.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar and melted butter in a bowl.
- When all the ingredients have been properly integrated, add the vanilla essence.
- Continue beating for a few more minutes.
- Add the flour little by little so that the dough acquires a thicker consistency.
- Pour batter into pan, over apples.
- Put the cake in the preheated oven with heat on both sides at 180 degrees Celsius. 30 minutes will be enough to achieve a fantastic result. It only remains to cool a little. Unmold and enjoy.
Considerations regarding the inverted apple cake
You may be able to find certain desserts, such as apple upside-down cake, already made at the supermarket. However, it is much better to prepare them at home, since this way the ingredients used are controlled.
The industrial versions usually contain low-quality fats, such as palm fat. During baking, these transform into the trans type. These elements are harmful to health, according to a study published in Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome.
Even if you use lard, a heat-sensitive fat, for the recipe, the baking will not be done at such a high temperature that there is significant conversion of the fatty acids. In addition, this lipid is considerably more beneficial to health than other versions of vegetable fats, such as refined seed oils.
On the other hand, the versions of industrial cakes they tend to concentrate artificial additives inside, beyond sweeteners. Many of these elements are harmless to health, but you can find some that are dangerous if consumed in large quantities. An example would be nitrites, which act as preservatives. This is indicated by a research published in antioxidants.
Make upside down apple pie at home
As you have seen, preparing an inverted apple pie at home is simple. It is a sweet that can be consumed both for dessert and in any of the snacks throughout the day. It is excellent accompanied with a coffee or an infusion. Yes indeed, it will have to be included in the context of a varied and balanced diet.
To finish, always keep in mind that if you exercise regularly, the impact of simple sugars on the body will be greatly reduced. The activity is capable of regulating blood glucose levels, so there is no excess demand on the pancreas that could condition its function in the medium term. Thus, the system is balanced in a natural and efficient way.
You might be interested…