The sun, sand and sea breeze can affect the health and appearance of the hair. How to counteract it? Discover some tips.
The beach is one of the most popular places to spend a vacation or a day of fun. The warm climate, the immensity of the sea, along with delicious drinks and dishes, will help you spend memorable moments. Nevertheless, the sun’s rays, the salinity of the water and the sea breeze affect hair health. Do you know how to wash your hair after going to the beach?
After having contact with the sea and the beach, the hair tends to become rough, dry and dull. Fortunately, to minimize these effects it is advisable to do a good wash. Here are some tips to do it correctly. Put them into practice!
How to wash your hair after going to the beach?
There are measures you should take before, during and after a day at the beach to protect your hair. Hydration and the use of the thermal protector should not be skipped. That said, here are some steps to sanitize your hair and remove impurities from the sea breeze.
1. Use the right shampoo
For these special cases, try switching from your regular shampoo and conditioner to one for damaged hair. These have a composition that helps to nourish the scalp and revitalize the strands. This way, you won’t deal with dehydration and breakdown.
2. Wash it every day
If you are going to spend several days immersing yourself in the pool or in the sea, you should skip the recommendation to wash your hair every two days. In this case, a daily full bath is ideal. The reason? The traces of chlorine, salt and sand get tangled in the hair, damaging its appearance.
3. Take care of the water temperature
Avoid showering with water that is very cold or very hot, this can affect the final result. It is advisable to use lukewarm water. This must necessarily be warm to help the process of removing grease and dirt, without excessive use of shampoo.
4. Massage firmly
Massaging firmly is fine, but watch the intensity with which you do it. Stronger does not mean that the effects of the shampoo or product will work better. On the contrary, doing it with great force will activate the sebaceous glands in the area, which translates into more oil for the hair.
Instead, rub your scalp in gentle circular motions, bringing the lather up to the upper and lower areas of the hair. The latter do not generate fat, so the foam will suffice to sanitize them. Rub these areas in the direction of hair growth, not the other way around.
5. Don’t air dry your hair
As tempting as it may be, letting your hair air dry can compromise its elasticity and the cohesion of the strands. It turns out that the longer damp hair lasts, the more its cell membrane will be compromised. In this sense, using a hairdryer 6 inches away from your head will be fine. Don’t forget to apply a thermal protector.
6. Avoid going to sleep with wet hair
After washing your hair well with the appropriate products, you must dry it well, especially if it is time to go to bed. Going to sleep with wet hair can cause fungus like those that trigger dandruff.
How to hydrate your hair after going to the beach?
The composition of seawater can bring out the worst version of your mane. For what reason? Simple, it causes dryness and weakness, especially if there is a base weakening. Therefore, the ideal is to put the following into practice:
- Prepare your hair for the change of weather from a few days before starting your trip to the beach. You can do it by applying moisturizing creams and oils.
- Rinse your hair with fresh water every time you leave the pool or the sea. This will help prevent the integrity of the hair from being seriously compromised.
- Use a hair product that contains UV protection. You must reapply it every time you get out of the water.
- Once you get home or where you are staying, rinse your hair well. Then, dry it well and apply an oily product. The latter can be avocado, oil treatment and the like.
Apply moisturizing masks twice a week
Moisturizing masks are not a substitute for conditioner or other hair care products. Still, they are a complement to bring damaged hair back to life. Therefore, after washing your hair after going to the beach, do the following:
- Olive oil and aloe vera. Pour 5 tablespoons of the aloe vera crystal with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Beat until mixture is smooth. Then, apply the product to clean hair. Let it act for 30 minutes, rinse and dry. After several applications, you will notice the silkier and shinier hair.
- Honey and egg. Honey is a natural moisturizer. On the other hand, the egg will provide the hair with vitamins and protein. So, beat a whole egg with 2 tablespoons of honey. Next, impregnate your hair with the mixture and let it act for 45 minutes. Remove with plenty of water and shampoo.
Washing your hair after going to the beach is essential
The climatic conditions of the beach inevitably affect the condition of the hair. Thus, washing after having contact with the sea, sand and the breeze is essential. Make sure you are using the correct products and don’t skip the steps we’ve recommended.
In addition to this, try to adopt other complementary measures to mitigate the effects of the sun, such as the use of a hat and thermoprotector. If you notice obvious dehydration, supplement with masks and oils.
It might interest you …